Click unsubscribe. You're no longer 20.

Unsubscribing from emails I used to find interesting or useful has made me realise how much my life has changed since I became a mum... as I clicked "remove me from this mailing list" on the latest top table email, I realised that what was once a weekly occurrence has become a birthday and anniversary special occasion. A treat these days involves a takeaway curry, not a 3 course meal with a complimentary glass of prosecco! My inbox used to be full of emails promoting groupon deals, pre-screenings of the latest films, cocktail hour specials, dinner deals at sushi restaurants and city break holidays. Now I'm signing up for discount codes for Mothercare and Homebase. 

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. The thought of a night out downing copious amounts of cheap white wine and then trying to haul myself out of bed at 5am when the munchkin screams for mummy makes me shudder. Give me a good TV sitcom and a glass of Magners any day. Just that hitting unsubscribe, no longer wishing to receive emails about the latest set meal offer at whichever Michelin started restaurant, gave me pause to think "wow. Things really have changed". Getting those emails was a throwback to my 20's. Sign me up for a whole different set of spam now I'm in my 30's. I belong to a whole new demographic. It's not sad. I don't miss belonging to the 25 and under bracket. I love the fact I'm now with the "30, married with one dependant" team. It's just removing myself from the mailing list really made it sink in. I'm officially a middle aged mummy. 

At least I can still pull off a pair of heels and a leather biker jacket. Right. Right?! (God I hope so, that's what I'm wearing today!).

Comments

Popular Posts