My first wedding photography job!

I finally did it and took the plunge! After years of people asking me to photograph weddings (and me being too chicken shit to say yes) I decided to stop doubting myself and just do it! So when my friend Sam asked me to be her wedding photographer, I bit the bullet, bought myself a second SLR (any excuse hey!) and said yes! 

Photographing a wedding is so different from my studio work. In a studio you're in charge of the conditions. You control the lighting and the setting. All the variables are under your control. Event photography is so the opposite it really tests your abilities! Weather, lighting, organisation, people management all affect the photos you end up with! I learnt so much photographing the wedding, and came away with so many tips for the next one. The running order of the group photos, having the balls to go up to groups of chatting guests and ask for a photo, making sure you got those all important intimate moments.... it's a real challenge! Trying to move around the ceremony and not be too conspicuous or distracting, but ensuring you get all the shots you want and need of every angle was difficult, but I knew I had to get the photos there and then. You don't get a second chance (which is the scary part). Hopefully I wasn't too annoying! Being sole photographer brought it's own challenges. You can only be in one place at any time, so getting photos of the back of the dress AND photos of the couple's faces as they say their vows, meant walking round the ceremony on tip toes (high heels will be a no no for my next job! They make too much noise on wooden flooring!). 

It was so worth it though. I was so excited to see the photos I took I edited all 160 odd shots in one weekend! I have to say I'm really pleased with the results. Sam and Conrad are such a lovely couple and I was so happy they involved me in their big day. Doubly pleased they liked the photos! It's a massive honour and huge responsibility to capture someone's previous moments! No second chance! 


Comments

Popular Posts