Hello Hong Kong & gastroenteritis!

For weeks I've been stressing over whether munchkin would drink anything the day we were due to leave for Hong Kong. We had a hectic day planned with a 10am appointment at St Thomas's hospital for allergy testing then a 10pm flight to HK. I was so worried she'd not drink the entire time we were out of the house and on the plane. It turned out ok in the end... kind of. The journey in to town for her hospital appointment was ok... the rocking of the train sent madam to sleep and she drank a whole bottle on the way and half on the way back. Then a bottle at home and another on take off on the plane! Phew! We did have a massive explosive poonami at the airport right before boarding, meaning I had to throw away a vest as it wasn't salvageable, but I had 2 sets of clothes in the change bag so no problem right? Wrong! We then had a massive puke up on the plane, and a second huge projectile vomit immediately after drinking one of her bottles. Crap. I ended up having to dress her in a vest and coat and wrap her legs with a blanket. Mummy fail!

Turns out her best buddies caught gastroenteritis from the local play rooms and she caught it off them the day before we left. Oops! We've spent the past 3 days in Hong Kong with a sicky pooey baby! She's been her usual perky smiley self, just keeping me awake all night with her explosive loud poos which I have to tackle immediately or they leak everywhere. We've had no puke today though and only 2 massive runny poos so I'm hoping she's over the worst of it!

Fingers crossed the rest of our trip is uneventful! She's getting tons of cuddles from her Yeh Yeh (hubby's dad) though. He's taking her off us every chance he gets and pushing the buggy everywhere! Just like my dad haha!

Her allergy testing was revealing... I feel so happy that were finally being taken seriously. The skin prick test showed she's allergic to cows milk (in your FACE GP who said it was unlikely, probably because he didn't want to prescribe us expensive hypoallergenic milk on the NHS!), peanuts (so we have to steer clear of all nuts), kiwi (thought this was a random one to test for as routine?!), banana (only slightly) and I asked them to test for pear as I suspected she's allergic to that too and yup, big welt came up (so dietician that advised me to keep on giving her low allergen pear was WRONG!). I've had to give away bags of purées I now can't use (why does EVERYTHING have apple, pear or banana in it for babies??!). At least we know what's causing her eczema! The paediatrician is referring us to a feeding clinic, thank GOD, and the dietician was really helpful too. We've been told to try her on soy formula as goats milk formula is too similar to cows milk. Surprisingly can't find it anywhere in Hong Kong!! We also had epi pen training because of her peanut allergy and risk of anaphylaxis.

This child is not a simple one is she! Ha!






Comments

Popular Posts