Photovine appeals to my photography OCD



Yesterday I stumbled across a tweet by @petapixel announcing Google's rival to Instagram. Ever the early adopter, I downloaded it straight away! Why Google released on iOS first and not Android is beyond me but I'm not complaining as I get to use it on my iPhone! So here's my review...

Photovine is a photography app that allows you to take a photo and add it to a "vine". Photos in the vine all have a common theme, such as "my favourite thing" or "black cats". You can add photos to existing vines, start your own vines and invite friends to contribute to vines. You can also "watch" vines so you stay up to date on new photos.

Things I love (so far):



  • The refresh monkey! When you refresh the page, a cute little monkey pops up at the top of the screen! Eek! Cute!
  • The ability to categorise my photos. I'm a little obsessed with categorising things (um. Yeah. Did you see my review on my Awesome Note app?!). I'd just that night before created a collage of hand photos I'd taken, for that very purpose. So being able to categorise my photos within an app is brilliant!
  • It's fun. Browsing vines is quite entertaining! A few of my favourites so far are:









Things I don't like (so far):



  • Unless I've missed it, I don't see any photo filters. To me that's a big FAIL. if Photovine wants to compete with instagram, they need to add the ability to edit and add retro filters and effects to photos on upload.
  • No privacy settings on vines. Ok I get that it's a social sharing app, but it might be cool if you could create vines which are only viewable to friends. Or at least add a filter to a vine so you can just see photos added by friends. At the moment Photovine doesn't have millions of users, but as that changes, the refresh rate on new photos being added will increase and finding photos taken by people you know will be quite difficult in the current set up!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Comments

Popular Posts