A night in November...

And if one more person says "But it's October!" I'll shoot them...

Last night I went to see 'A night in November' with Patrick Kielty. It was a one man play about a dole clerk who goes to a football match and realises that he doesn't like the bigotry and racism he used to be a part of against Catholics and Irish from the Republic of Ireland. That's all I can say about this play as we only watched the first half and then left... it wasn't that it was bad as such, just that there was so many jokes and references to the IRA, in-jokes about living in Northern Ireland, and we just didn't get them... I think the play was definitely more for someone who grew up in the 90's in Belfast and could remember the tanks, the IRA bombings and what Ireland was like... My Dad probably would have gotten a lot of the jokes and possibly really enjoyed it... I think the only people laughing in the audience were from Northern Ireland! I was impressed with Patrick Kielty's acting skills though. Performing a monologue and occasionally narrating other character's parts is very difficult and he pulled it off well... although his mannerisms smacked of Tom Cruise in Jerry Maguire with all the finger pointing and air punching... Just wasn't for me is all. Shame though as we had seats in the 2nd row from the front, and only paid £10 each!

This weekend I am in a baking mood and plan to make Morning Glory Muffins. We had them for breakfast every morning at the Bear Hill Lodge in Jasper and I've had cravings ever since! They're carrott muffins with pumpkin seeds and lots of yummy stuff in them... we're also going for yum cha Sunday which will be fun!

Comments

Popular Posts