Kids on commute

It amazes me how commuters, who are probably parents themselves, seem to lose all manners and compassion when they step on public transport. Even when I was extremely obviously pregnant, I had to frequently ask people to give up their seats on the train. But once you've HAD your child, people are even more oblivious. This morning on the train, there was a mum with a very frightened looking 4 year old stood in the aisle of the 8am to Cannon Street. It mus be terrifying for a small child being crammed onto a train at rush hour, jostled between towering adults as they push and shove to get on the train. I was sat next to the window on a bank of three seats, furthest from the aisle. I watched as the mum reassured a very nervous little girl that it was ok, and her attempts to comfort her daughter fell on deaf ears all around. Well shame on everyone in that carriage. Since when did getting a seat on the train so you can read your free newspaper or catch 15 minutes extra sleep become so important that you put your own needs above others. Now that I'm a mum, all I could think was poor child and if it were me, I'd hope someone would give up their seat for me. So I stood up, squeezed past the people who had become temporarily deaf and dumb, and gave my seat to a very grateful mum. They spent the rest of the rest of the journey playing eye spy, which was so cute I turned off my music and listened for the rest of the journey. My reward for standing up. 

Treat others how you wish to be treated!

Comments

Popular Posts